Best Camping Fans For A Comfortable Outdoor Adventure
It goes without saying we all love camping trips with our family and friends now and then. It helps us unwind from our busy lives and relax. But on some days, the weather gets to us. This happened to me last month when I went camping with my family. The weather was warm and sunny. But the heat started building once we got inside the tent. It was a difficult couple of days except when we got out of the tent, and that is when it hit me.
I should have added a Fan to my check list for it to be the best camping tent. Well, that was my experience. After returning from the trip, I did a deep research about fans that I could buy for my camping trips in the future.
Thrive Leads Shortcode could not be rendered, please check it in Thrive Leads Section!
Best Battery Operated Fan Value Section
Ideally, campers like to keep it as natural as they can by traveling light. Many have upgraded from the basics to the high-tech camping experience. Almost every camper's essentials now include camping fans. They are safe, comfortable and light weight. In some camping areas, a camping fan is a necessity more than a luxury.
Why Do I Need a Camping Fan?
A camping fan is a non-negotiable necessity on some days, especially when there is not even a slight breeze. If you're lucky, it might get windy outside the tent, but you certainly can't open up your tent in the middle of the night. In such cases, you also don't wish to suffocate inside the tent.
Camping fans come in handy in such situations. It'll help you sleep better, and it won't get sticky in the humid weather. Moreover, a fan will help you increase the ventilation inside the tent when you are inside it. When we relax inside the tent, our body temperature along with humidity affects the temperature of the tent space as well.
The best battery operated fan are not only for summer months, but it is also suitable for winters and spring months. Why do you ask? Winters are cool and on some days it also gets chilly. Why would I need a fan when it’s not hot? Hear me out. Ever heard of condensation? A fan in your tent will aid in preventing condensation by the flow of air. Air circulation inside the tent is necessary, or you could end up feeling nauseous and suffocated in a closed space.
Which is the Ideal Camping Fan?
Camping fans are usually very light in weight so as to serve the purpose. Lightweight fans which are designed for other purposes like desk fans or table fans can also be bought along for camping. In the recent times, camping fans have evolved so much so that they can be attached to your tent with the help of magnets or hooks. Of course, tagging a fan along is an option, but it ensures a comfortable camping experience.
A very important aspect is the Battery Usage. Most portable fans work on alkaline batteries. The number of batteries for a fan differs depending upon its runtime and ventilator power. Please check for the availability of batteries that the fan you're looking at requires. These tiny sized fans run on D-cell batteries usually. Also, check for battery consumption. We most definitely do not wish to buy a fan that runs out of battery in just half a day of use. Unless you're planning to rent a tent that facilitates electricity, a battery powered fan will do just fine.
Another aspect you need to focus on is the different modes and settings available. Fans with various features are available, and you can choose one depending upon your convenience. Even the most basic fans have airflow settings. Some fans come with efficient ventilation and quicker air flow. Some fans also come with built-in lights or LED lights. These lights come in handy for a decent lighting for when it’s gone dark outside. The features differ with every fan depending on the price range and size.
Which Fan Size will be Suitable for Me?
Lucky for us, even camping fans come in all sizes. The tiniest one comes with only the fan blades. There is no cage around it. In my opinion, it might be a bit risky to have an open fan in such a small tent space. Most campers prefer a medium sized fan that easy to carry and have decent features unless you wish to go overboard on fans for camping.
If you usually camp with a bigger group, you can all chip in for a high powered fan. These fans would ideally consume lots of alkaline batteries. But for a better option, some of these fans run on lead acid battery. Lead acid batteries are the ones that are used for smaller vehicles or lawn tractors. Such fans provide great airflow almost as good as a house fan.
Where Should I Place the Fan Inside the Tent?
That entirely depends on your fan. Camping with a base is easy to place anywhere on the floor of your tent. But to gain maximum air circulation throughout the tent space, place it near the entrance of the tent. Some fans come with a hook so you can hang it from the tent's ceiling. Some fans can be attached to the tent's body or screen with magnets. The structure of your fan can make it either light in weight or affect its efficiency, but you have to choose what works best for you.
With so many fans on the market, you can easily find one that is apt for your use and also the one that fits your price range. Listed below are some fans I had shortlisted while I was shopping for one.
Top Rated Camping Fans for Camping Outdoors
1. Deluxe Camping Combo LED Lantern and Fan
This portable camping fan ensures the luxury of your home while you are outdoors. Enjoy the hours of airflow and light with the Deluxe Camping Combo LED Lantern and Fan. It is weather resistant and runs on 2 D Cell Batteries.
This small classic fan is a good idea if you wish for a fan with easy portability.
Pros of the Tent Ceiling Fan
- The best part about the fan is that it is light in weight. The fan is just about 1.2 pounds.
- It does not make much noise. Even on the quietest nights in the jungle, you will hardly notice anything unusual.
- The pack comes with an instructions and user manual.
- There is more than one setting for the fan to run on.
- There are 18 tiny LED bulbs attached to the fan. The lights are not your ordinary flashlights. They give the look of a decent lighting while camping.
- It will easily fit anywhere inside the tent, be it on the floor of your camp or the ceiling of your tent.
- The handling is very convenient. There is no problem with switching modes with the fan.
- The face of the fan and light can be moved and adjusted as to your convenience.
- This fan is suitable for when you're looking for a compact solution.
- Although the fan ensures easy portability, the size might hamper its efficiency in fulfilling the purpose.
- Batteries are not included in the starting pack.
- The speed battery consumption differs vastly when used for either mode. It runs for about 50 hours on lower speed and about 30 hours with the highest speed.
- When the light and the fan are run together, it can run only for 16 hours. The fan has to be run at low speed while the light is on for maximum durability.
- The fan does not exactly give off a cool, breezy flow of air but works decently.
2. Coleman CPX® 6 Lighted Tent Fan with Stand
The Coleman CPX 6 is a choice of many as it provides a cool whiff of air throughout your camping trip. The matte finished fan works both on D Cell batteries as well as a battery pack. You can carry this trusty fan to your camping trip without a worry.
- The Coleman CPX 6 comes with soft blades which make it safe for camping with kids although the looks appear rather cage-less.
- It can either be placed in the tent by the base or be hung from the ceiling.
- It has twin settings for the fan- high speed and low speed.
- It has twin settings for the lights- white and night light.
- It does the work of a fan very well. It gives a decent airflow inside the tent throughout the night.
- It works great as a light too. The twin settings made me go ga-ga. It lights up the tent space adequately.
- It comes with a rechargeable battery life which is a thumb up because you don't wish to keep on purchasing batteries time and again.
- The Coleman CPX 6 works better with D cells rather than the rechargeable batteries.
- No batteries or battery cartridge is included in the pack.
- The battery life is far shorter than the listed battery life. You may have to purchase two battery sets for one night.
- The structure of the fan makes the base of the fan very prone to stumble. The stand makes it unsuitable for uneven surfaces. One touch and the fan could fall.
- The size and weight of the fan might make it difficult to carry for light packers and intensive camping trips.
3. O2 Cool Portable Tent Fan with Emergency Device Charger and Auto Adapter
This fan is a great product from the O2's range of cooling fans. It is apt for long camping trips even in the hot, humid weather. The O2 Cool Portable Tent Fan shall keep you cool throughout your stay. It also comes with an emergency device charger and auto adapter.
- It moves a lot of air. It gives off cool air throughout the night.
- What is different about this typically shaped table fan is that it can be hung from the ceiling of the tent despite being huge in size.
- This fan is very light in weight if you keep the size and structure in mind. Its weight is less than 2.5 pounds.
- It has a rather long cord for the fan to be kept in any part of the tent and still be connecting to its battery pack.
- It is great that there are two control buttons. One is in the battery pack, and the other one is on the fan.
- Its magnetic plate is very strong that makes it easy attachable to a canopy or tent.
- The combination of light weight, 8 D cells, and a great fan makes the customers happy and satisfied.
- There is an extra cable in the pack for the AC outlet. It might come to use for everyone but no harm no foul done there.
- It does not make unusual or loud noises.
- The fan is pretty bulky if compared to other fans. Its size might make it unfit for backpacking trips.
- The price of the fan has recently gone up due to popularity.
- The battery pack becomes heavier after placing the batteries in which makes the whole package heavier.
- To make this fan light in weight, the fan is made of plastic. The material makes the fan look a little flimsy.
4. O2COOL® 10-inch Portable Fan with AC Adapter
This good looking fan by O2 Cool is one of the customer favorites for not only for camping lovers but also for domestic users. The fan's sleek design won't stop it from providing you a constant cool breeze throughout its usage. Its light weighted body makes it fit for camping.
- It has a very sleek design with 10 inches of height and very slim width.
- The fan does not make much noise while on low speed. It is almost as faint as our average domestic ceiling fan.
- It runs on both Battery pack and D cell batteries. It needs 6 D Cell batteries to run for maximum 40 hours. The battery runs almost as long as the listed battery life.
- It is light in weight. The weight of the O2COOL® 10-inch Portable Fan is less than 2.5 pounds.
- It has twin fan speed settings. The blades in the fan are 5, and each blade's length is 10 inches which make the fan very efficient at what it does.
- The fan works decently well on both speeds. It makes the stay bearable when the weather is too hot or humid.
- The handling is rather convenient. The control is built in the fan.
- It tilts up to a decent 15-degree angle with a sturdy and wide base. There is no fear of the fan stumbling and falling down on uneven surfaces.
- The fan makes some noises when to run at high speed. That might get in the way of your good night's sleep.
- The battery pack's screws need to be adjusted every time the battery needs to be replaced. That will cause some inconvenience if you don't know your way around tools.
- Although it is substantially light in weight, many intensive campers may opt not to carry this fan due to its bulky structure and comparatively heavier body.
5. Coleman Tent Fan
The Coleman Tent Fan went literally by the name and was originally designed for camping and hiking purposes. Its unique design does not hamper its efficiency of keeping the tent space cool. This fan, when attached to your tent's body, shall provide you with breezy air all night long so you can sleep like a baby.
- The Coleman Tent Fan is extremely light in weight. Its weight is only about 2 pounds.
- It easily attaches to the fabric of your tent on securing it with a magnet.
- The attachment or detachment of the fan does not hamper the fabric or skin of the tent whatsoever.
- The blade of the fan is not very sharp, which is a thumb up considering that the fan does not have a cage. It is safe to have a soft blade in the fan.
- It needs only one D cell battery for usage which is by far the least needed number of batteries for a battery powered fan.
- Its tiny wings are good enough to keep the air moving. When directed straight at one person, it emits cool breeze-like puffs of air.
- It is a great fan if you wish to take a tiny light weight portable fan on a camping trip, especially in the cooler months.
- The Coleman Tent Fan is only available in one color. Although it doesn't affect the fan's cooling some people might opt out because of lack of choice in colors.
- According to the listed battery life, the fan runs for a maximum of 16 hours.
- This tiny fan is the size of your palm and is suitable only for solo campers. You could always fit extra fans in the tent according to your convenience.
- The fan, given its size, does not exactly work well for humid or warm weathers.
Now you know all the popular fans that are available in the market along with their benefits and advantages. Based on this information, you can easily choose one that best fits your criteria. You can choose a fan by making an informed decision depending upon how often do you want to use it, how well does it suit your needs, which weather will you be camping in and whether the fan is apt for the weight you wish to carry.